As a social media professional, I am always seeking ways to make more efficient use of my time. I belong to a couple of forums and groups that often discuss free tools or low-cost options. I would like to share a compiled list here with you:
- Hootsuite – still one of my faves – but they have changed things up. Now for free you get 2 social account. I am now paying $75 a month for what I used to have in the legacy edition for $5.99 per month. This was a big shift and what they promised me isn’t working out. I still have enough slots for all my customer accounts but… (updated 7-2021)
- Trello – this is a Kaizen board tool to help you track projects!!! Love this tool. (updated 7-2021)
- Miro – this is a flow chart tool. It is just cool. Play with it. I used it for an on-line baby shower and everyone got to play at one time. (updated 7-2021)
- Slack or Teams – communication tool to help you stay in touch without having to send emails. (updated 7-2021)
- Zoom – virtual meeting tool (updated 7-2021)
- Thryv – CRM tool – I wish they had the ability to use one log-in for multiple accounts. Right now, I have to have a separate email for each account I manage for customers. (updated 7-2021)
- If This Then That – will help you do just that with about 11 social platforms – ex. if [Twitter mention] then [thank them] – will work with Facebook pages.
- Buffer – share your posts at a later time on any Twitter account or Facebook personal pages
- Dreamstime – free photos for use in your materials – they also have photos for purchase.
- DIIGO – similar to Dropbox for websites you want to save for later – lets you bookmark in a cloud favorites by keyword. You can even highlight things, place sticky notes on pages and share it with connections.
- FanTools – the free side lets you set up one Twitter and one Facebook page, upgrades available for planning, coupons and deals.
- YouSendIt – sending large files through email is no longer a problem, use YouSendIt. You upload, the receiver downloads. You must stay under a size limit for it to remain free.
- Morgue File – more free photos. Has a connection with Dreamstime.
- CutePDF – makes pdf files for any of your printable documents for programs that don’t already convert them.
- Join.me – screen sharing
- Skype – video calling and screen sharing, have a group video conversation for a monthly fee.
- MailChimp – e-newsletter system free up to 2000 emails
- FreshBooks – on-line accounting, up to 3 clients for free, up to 25 clients $19.95 mos.
- BeFunky – photo effects editor
- Zoho – CRM on-line tool.
- Gimp – photo editing software – you download it. You don’t need Photoshop with this one.
- Inkscape – modify vector art similar to Illustrator.
- ClipArt – open clip art library
- AVG – anti virus
- Adobe Browser Lab for website testing
- WeTransfer – for sending files
- PrimoPDF is also free PDF converter
- Hamster – another Free video converter
- MyPictr – Avatar creator – for profile pictures on social networks – not sure if its up to date but you can manually change the px size
- DaFont – Free Fonts
- OpenOffice – The Free and Open Productivity Suite
- LastPass – Online Password storage.
- Malwarebytes – Don’t run windows without it – not free
- Nitro PDF Reader – recently added thanks to SME club thread
- Toggl – Time tracking, great when you are billing by project
- Avast! – Anti-virus, some free, but all the bells and whistles cost
- Audacity – Sound recording and editing
- TeamViewer – Screen sharing and more.
- SNAG-IT – screen capture. pro version for a small upgrade is no longer available. Will have to switch to Snag-it or Camtasia.
- FileZilla – FTP management
- CCleaner – keep your hard drive clean and optimized
- Synergy – use one mouse and keyboard to connect multiple computers (from Zoho)
- Any Video Converter – convert any video, aptly named
- Dropbox – store and share files online
- Google Docs, Calendar, mail, keyword tools, alerts, analytics, insights for search – access docs that you share, share with others, check your calendar, multiple email accounts from you desktop, phone, or laptop, find what keywords you need to use, set up alerts for anything you want to track from the web and blogs, add analytics to your website and track traffic to your site, .
- Evernote -remember everything, anywhere
- Readitlater – don’t have time to read that article now, save it to readitlater.
- SimpleNote – similar to Evernote, jot yourself a note anytime, anywhere
- KeePass – another password compiler
- Free Conference Call – teleconferencing line available 24/7. Each call accommodates 96 callers on an unlimited number of 6 hour free conference calls.
- SuveyMonkey – free survey tool
- Evite – free party planning tool
- Producteev – task management app, helping to organize office days. It’s cross-platform, desktop and mobile.
- AnyMeeting – web conference meetings
- Bit.ly – link shortener and tracking
- Box.net – add files to this on-line application and link it to your LinkedIn profile
- Scribd – post your pdf files and documents to share on your social networks if you don’t want to post them on your website.
- Visual.ly – create your own infographic
- Get Listed – enter your business name and zip code. The tool finds the location sites on which you are or aren’t listed.
- Timeline Image Tool – helps you build custom tab images without needing design software.
What have I missed? What do you like best? What wouldn’t you use?